Looking at Display Homes in Port Macquarie is a great way to do your research. Building your own home is part of the great Australian dream, and the largest investment most people will make in their lives.
Port Macquarie has one of the biggest display villages on the Mid North Coast, with over 16 homes at Sovereign Hills. It’s a convenient village to visit to access the latest in trends in building design, as well as industry hints and tips to help make the right decision when building your dream home.
Before you jump in feet first, it is important to know what you are looking for and questions you need to ask.
Display Homes in Port Macquarie – Our recommended guide here
To get the most out of your day, take a moment to get organised with our tips below! We have put together a daily plan and tips to make this a fun day out for your whole family.
What to bring
- Pen and paper or notes on your phone – to make a list of your favourite features and homes.
- Your phone with camera to take pictures.
- Water and snacks for the kids.
- Something to keep the kids interested – create a Scavenger Hunt list of all the things they need to look for in the display homes, and tick them off as they see them (eg vase, swimming pool, blue cushion, wine glass, etc).
Building a house checklist questions
Each display home in Port Macquarie has a dedicated Sales Consultant to to answer any of your questions. Make sure you grab the information on hand as well as the layouts. Below are some great questions for you to ask.
1. What are your exclusions and extra costs?
The price that you are quoted on when building a home is never the true cost. There are always extra costs that are not included in your builders quote. It is important to find out what these are so you can factor these into your budget. Common pitfalls for overspending include:
- Laundry cabinetry
- Window coverings
Another thing to be mindful of is display homes will likely have all of the optional upgrades – so what you see may actually be an additional $100K on top of the price you are given.
2. What suppliers and manufacturers do your builders use?
Ask what suppliers and brands the builders use and do your research to make sure they are good quality. Some things to think about:
- The brand of kitchen appliances
- The type of paint (do they provide 3 coats of quality paint?
3. How many homes are your currently building?
This is an important question as depending on how many homes they are building will influence when they can fit your build in.
4. Are you able to change the design of the home?
Make sure you find out if any project home plans are able to be tweaked to suit your dream home goals and what the costs are. Modifications to the plan generally incur additional costs on to your build. This may include things like:
- Removing a wall to open up a space
- Increasing the garage size
- Changing the size of outdoor alfresco area
Things to look for when visiting display homes
It is good to find any little secrets hiding at a display home. You need to make sure you check the following:
- Layout of display home – It is important that the home flows and it will suit your family lifestyle.
- How many bedrooms does it have?
- Is it open plan?
- Is the kitchen big enough?
- Is there an entertaining area?
- Make a list of all your must haves so you can tick them off at each home.
- Quality of construction. Check the painting, gaps, uneven tiles, skirting, doors, windows and garage doors. Check the fittings and fixtures to see if you are happy with the brand and the quality. Join our Port Macquarie Building and Renovation tips and hints group and ask our over 900 members for their recommendations.
- Will it fit on your block of land and at the right aspect? The display home may look amazing on the block of land it is built on but what will it be like on your land.
Schedule for the day
I have put together a plan of your day. I have included lunch and a stop off at the park for the kids before your little darlings lose it. Weekends are obviously a convenient time to visit however if you can do a week day they are generally not so busy. If you can get the kids babysat then this is a even better option.
10:00am The obvious place to start your day is at Sovereign Hills with over 16 homes from 12 project builders in Port Macquarie. If you are interested in looking at them all, allow yourself three hours or more. With a variety of different home plans, swimming pools and more you will definitely get some great inspiration from these homes.
Location: Sovereign Drive, Port Macquarie
Opening Times: 10am – 5pm
My Favourite Display Home Builders: Hontondo Homes, McDonald Jones Homes, Perry Homes, Sorenson & Caldon, Stroud Homes, Adenbrook Homes, Better Homes & Developments, Cavalier Homes, Coral Homes, Integrity New Homes, Vaughan Homes
12:00am – BY 12:00am the kids will likely be ready for a break (and you may be ready for a coffee) so I would suggest to go and have a early lunch at the Sovereign Hills cafe which is within walking distance from the display village. Let them run off their beans and enjoy a relaxing lunch.
1:00 – 2:00pm – Complete the rest of the homes at Sovereign Hills.
Optional additional stop:
2:00pm – 3:00pm – If you want to see one more home there is a display home in Links Estate, 11 Silky Oak Rise, Kew. This is just 20 minutes from Port Macquarie and a great option especially for a first home buyer in Port Macquarie.
At the end of the day we all want value for money and a job well done. Planning and doing your research is the key and as important as the job itself. Doing your homework and it will help to ease some of the pain and expense. Even if you are not building with a project builder, visiting Display Homes in Port Macquarie is a great way to get some ideas. Lawrence Built are just one of the amazing custom builders in Port Macquarie who can help you build your own home. If you are needing advice on building in Port Macquarie then click here to book your appointment with Craig from Draftworx Designs and check out his most recent renovation.
Good luck and happy building!